03 November 2008

Pre-Election Blues

I've got pre-election blues. I'm one of those Undecideds. I can't choose who is the lesser of two weevils. They all - from the National level down to the local - seem full of fast talk to me.

I have less that 24 hours to make one of three Presidential choices, the third being to exercise my right not to vote, and to voice my dissatisfaction with the available candidates that way. Do you think if we all went on a voting strike, they'd stop the long-running, media-blitzing, double-talking campaigns? I don't think it's anti-patriotic not to vote; I think it's one of the freedoms we are lucky to have. So then how come I know I will feel guilty if I don't show up at the booth, huh? Must be my Catholic upbringing. In this election, I think I'll feel guilty no matter what choice I make.

In the latest Quilter's Home magazine, a designer whom editor Mark Lipinski interviewed said that she was an X [not saying which here] Party voter, and when asked how she felt about that Party's candidate, replied that she was "holding her nose and voting the Party." I thought that was hysterical. (Fabulous mag, by the way, even if you're not a quilter. Lots of artistic and decorating inspiration, funny articles, recipes, and cocktails, too! Where else could you learn how to make a tuffet in this day and age?)

Do you know whom I would trust as President? Tom Hanks. I'm serious. He'd be great.



Let's shift to some less-negative blues; rather, blue-green, and of the yarn variety. I'm swatching for the February Lady Sweater, with KnitPicks Swish Superwash in Tidepool Heather. I've had to go down a needle size from the pattern recommendation. The yarn feels odd - more like acrylic than wool. I'd wanted non-superwash, but they were out of it when I ordered. Hmmmm....



I completely messed up the first five rows of the Annie Modesitt silk corset yesterday, so I frogged it and began knitting again today. I realized where I'd been going wrong, and now that the unusual-ness of the pattern (read: disorganization) has had a chance to soak into my brain overnight, it's going smoothly for me. I'm not doing the buttons/buttonholes, though; I'll just sew up the front and wear it as a pullover. No way am I sewing up all those buttons, let alone buttoning them up!

Here's the yarn I'm using - Artyarns Regal Silk in color 144:








It was in the mid-70s today - totally uncommon for this time of year in Wisconsin. Lovely, sunny, breezy day. The animals seemed to enjoy it as much as I did, and the dogs got some extra time out in their playpen chasing their rubber squeaky octopi,as I was in no hurry to go back indoors. I soaked up the sun and breathed in the fresh air, because I know in another month I'll really be missing warm weather. Beautiful!



The plants are right on schedule, however: leaves have changed color and most have fallen, pods have formed and opened, seeds have been scattered. I found these out on an old fence by the silo, amongst the wild grapes. Do you know what they are? I haven't a clue.






We had a nice time over at Michelle's on Saturday evening. Got to spend time with a couple of my favorite LYS ladies and see what fiber projects they are up to. Dianne showed us a finished Ice Queen wimple which was gorgeous. That's been on my to-do list since it was published, but I was too intimidated to cast on. But Dianne said it was really very easy, so I have hope... She also was wearing a Pinwheel Sweater that she'd knit, which made me really want to make one for myself - it was so flattering. Dianne had knit lace all around the body edge and the cuffs, too, and it was beautiful in a dark blue variegated worsted (I believe).

Dixie had the latest Drops ladies patterns magazine, and there are so many cute designs in it that I'm going to have to stop in at Yellow Dog Knitting to pick up a copy, and maybe some of the Garnstudio yarn for a project as well.

Chef Jeff and I got to meet Michelle's two adorable donkeys as well as the magnificent Kiara, a Gypsy Vanner horse. Wow! She looks like a Disney horse come to life.




I hope you have a good Election Day and that you don't have to wait in line to cast your vote. We vote in an ancient, one-room schoolhouse that serves as our town hall, and there's never more than one other person there ahead of us. I'd feel happy about that if only I had a clear choice in candidates!

No comments: